Zachary S. Taylor
40 Worth Street
New York, New York 10013
Zachary’s areas of expertise include complex commercial litigation and business disputes, employment disputes, financial regulation, securities law, auditor liability, public corruption, RICO and white-collar criminal defense. He has represented individual and corporate clients in a wide range of civil, regulatory and criminal matters in state and federal court as well as before the Securities & Exchange Commission, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the Federal Trade Commission, and several state attorneys general and regulators. He has also conducted internal investigations on behalf of small firms as well as publicly traded corporations.
Prior to founding Taylor & Cohen, Zachary practiced at several elite law firms in New York City, including Sullivan & Cromwell LLP and Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
Commercial and Civil
- Represented board member of a fast-growing craft liquor brand in control dispute in Delaware Chancery Court against company’s former chief executive.
- Represented award-winning photographer in lawsuit against magazine publisher arising from the loss of tens of thousands of photographic slides and negatives.
- Represented investment company in lawsuit for breach of contract arising from medical software company’s failure to reimburse due diligence expenses incurred in connection with a potential acquisition.
Criminal and Investigations
- Defended U.S. citizen accused of attempting to join ISIS in the first such case to be tried before a jury, in United States v. Pugh (E.D.N.Y.).
- Engaged on behalf of a boutique financial consultancy firm to investigate claims that its president and controlling shareholder had overbilled bankruptcy estates in numerous Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Appointed to Criminal Justice Act Panel for the Southern District of New York through December 2019. The Panel is comprised of private attorneys who are authorized to serve as court-appointed defense counsel in federal cases.
- Harvard Law School, 2003
Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Cambridge University, 1997
Masters, Ancient Greek Literature
- Harvard University, 1996
Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude
- Hon. Shira A. Scheindlin
United States District Court Judge
Southern District of New York
- New York
- United States District Court, S.D.N.Y.
- United States District Court, E.D.N.Y.
- Co-author with Joseph T. McLaughlin et al., “Recent Developments in Domestic and International Arbitration Involving Issues of Arbitrability, Consolidation of Claims and Discovery of Non-Parties,” Civil Practice and Litigation Techniques in Federal and State Court, ALI-ABA
- Co-author with Lawrence J. Zweifach, “United States v. Stein and the Advancement of Attorney’s Fees: The Thompson Memorandum under a Microscope,” Securities Litigation and Enforcement Institute 2006, Practicing Law Institute
- Criminal Justice Act Panel
for the Southern District of New York
- New York City Bar Association
- Federal Bar Council