40 Worth Street
New York, New York 10013
Rob’s practice covers a wide-ranging array of complex litigation, arbitration and mediation matters. His areas of expertise include shareholder and corporate disputes; employment law, breach of contract, fraud and trade secret disputes; class actions; and appellate advocacy. Rob has appeared before numerous federal and state courts, arbitration panels and mediations across the country. He has represented clients from many different industries, including financial services, private equity, payment and credit cards, manufacturing, energy and telecommunications. His pro bono work has focused on civil rights impact litigation on behalf of persons with mental illnesses as well as immigration-related matters.
In 2017, Governor Andrew Cuomo appointed Rob to serve as a Commissioner on the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
Before founding Taylor & Cohen, Rob was a partner in the New York office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. While at Kirkland, he was the recipient of the Firmwide Pro Bono Partner of the Year Award. After leaving Kirkland, Rob served as Special Counsel and Director of Ethics and Lobbying Guidance for the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics. Prior to attending law school, Rob worked as a Legislative Assistant in the Washington, D.C. office of Representative Ed Pastor.
- As Special Counsel to the Joint Commission on Public Ethics, co-led major investigations of publicly-elected officials, including the landmark investigation that led to Assemblyman Vito Lopez’s resignation from the New York State Assembly in 2013.
- Represented private equity fund in litigation against a multinational insurance corporation. Secured judgment on all counts, including an award of attorney’s fees and costs.
- Represented plaintiffs in a federal civil rights lawsuit brought on behalf of persons treated in the psychiatric units of Brooklyn’s Kings County Hospital Center. Successfully secured, together with the U.S. Department of Justice, nearly ten years of mandated court supervision, resulting in a complete overhaul of nearly all operations of the psychiatric units, from physical plant maintenance to patient care and discharge planning.
- Represented startup company in a federal trade secret lawsuit against a major national consumer electronics retailer.
- Counseled private equity fund in matters relating to disputes among current and former members.
- Successfully defended energy service company in a class action consumer fraud lawsuit. Secured dismissal of the complaint.
- University of Chicago Law School, 1999
Juris Doctor, with honors
- University of Pennsylvania, 1991
Bachelor of Arts, cum laude
- Hon. Michael D. Hawkins
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- New York
- United States District Court, S.D.N.Y.
- United States District Court, E.D.N.Y.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Commissioner, New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics
(appointed by Governor Andrew Cuomo)
- The Twenty-first Citywide Seminar on Ethics in City Government (New York Law School, May 2015)
- 2014 Update on Lobbying Laws and Compliance in New York State and City (New York Advocacy Association, March 2014)
- New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics (2012-2015)
- Special Counsel & Director of Ethics and Lobbying Guidance
- Kirkland and Ellis LLP (2001-2012)
- Partner (2006-2012)
- New York City Bar Association
- Member, Government Ethics & State Affairs Committee
- Federal Bar Council